ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished a retention pond this evening from 6:30- 8:30. Water is still murky, but close to normal level. Don't have a thermometer (yet) so not sure of the exact water temp.
Started with a spinnerbait to find an active Bass or two hanging around the inlet. Nothing doing...... Tied on a ratltrap and tossed it out a tad deeper........ Nope.
Let's see...Aha! Carolina rig a garlic chomper tube, that will call a few in for a look. Oops, too big. Garlic chomper grub, that's it....... Uh uh.
O.K....I've got it now...a power worm, electric grape. These Bass love that color.......
Not today they don't .
It's getting pretty dark now....time for the old stand-by. Buzzbait!......... Ummm...no.
Downsize, grab the short rod....yellow twistertail for crappies or gills, vertical jigging the shoreline always works....damn mosquitos!!........ I'm outta here.
WHAT GIVES??

G

·
Focus Cliffy! Pick a species, pick one or two baits and then STICK TO THE PLAN DUDE!!! Once you start doubting & second guessing yourself your dead meat! Bass are already moving towards the areas they will be spawning in, work the deep drops just off those spots where you saw them bedding last year, they'll show up sooner or later!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bob....please don't tell me I have to actually walk to the other side of the pond once in a while. LOL! Seriously...I was focused and I was targeting Bass....specifically some 4 lb. Smallies in there and the lunker LM that I helped (accidentally drop) in over the years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts