ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

What gear do you typically purchase online?

• Reels?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rods?

• Terminal tackle?

• Tackle storage?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a few years now I've been toying around with the idea of starting an online fishing store.I know most guys like to shop at their local mom and pop store (I myself try to support Jim at the Salmon shop in Palatine) however there are items that smaller stores do not carry, and a lot of smaller stores do not carry high end items...bigger retailer's employees have in turn limited knowledge of what they're selling but they can offer somewhat lower pricing and a wider scope of products...but again, they still do not readily carry specialty items...(float fishing - centrepin reels - carp gear - lots of high end bass tackle is amiss just to cite a few)...

So I guess the key things people usually get anxious about are: quality,warranty length,proficient customer service,ease of ordering and asking gear related questions, pricing, selection, availibility and shipping terms and cost...

What would you guys like to see if you could have access to the ideal store?

Just poking around for now, however it's always been a dream to be able to fill the voids left by what's out there now, and I think there are a few things that everybody will agree on...let's hear it.

Thanks for looking!!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I only buy terminal tackle and baits online because with a reel or rod I want to physically check it out myself before buying. If i find an extraordinary deal online i may go to a store to check out the reel/rod and then if i like it buy it online.

·
Premium Member
2,109 Posts
Most of the things I buy on line , are not from 1 store. But from many differant on line shops . I havent found a one stop shopping site on-line. I don't think you could put all the differant types of gear or tackle and line I look for.

·
Premium Member
2,109 Posts
Even Bass pro and Cabelas don't carry everything I look for. :cry:

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
franksgreatoutdoors carries everyting and is quick ship to chicagoland. i feel they are the best for my needs as online goes. if i buy anything in person, i shop at the salmon stop and support a true bait and tackle shop.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'll say this, if anyone could even start to put together a store that "had everything" That person better have some DEEEEEP pockets. I think it would almost be impossible to have everything anyone would need under one roof unless you were talking about a mall! I guess it might be possible but probably not practical.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I didn't see an option for this and I may be the minority but I do not buy any fishing gear online. I am much more tactile I guess and I like to see and feel the equipment prior to purchasing. Also, with fishing equipment I am kind of an impulse buyer....I'll spend $100 bucks at the fishing store before I go out that morning.

It would be very difficult to beat the prices of the already online shops. They have buying power which drives down the cost. Unless you worked out relationships with manufacturers or had a warehouse type situation, I think you would find it hard to compete. Even then, you would have to prove your credit worthiness with those mfg's, which would take awhile. Someone already mentioned it but, unless you have unlimited funds, it sounds like a recipe for quick disaster. Something like 90-95% of new small businesses fold in the first year...and that is without the complication of having an online sales format.

Sorry to be a naysayer but I am a small business owner and I know how tough it can be...

Neil

·
Premium Member
10,336 Posts
Agreeing with Neil??? There must be a rift in the force... :eek:
I too don't buy much fishing tackle online... I like to have it in-hand 1st... I have also gotten away from the Mega-mart mentality and having 1 of everything in every color...
A couple #10 long shank hooks, 2 lb test line, and an ultralite mini-float with a cup of waxies and I can spend the whole day smiling...
Doesn't mean I don't have 2, 5-shelf, plastic racks full of stuff... :)2

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
On line shopping

I have a store in the town of Bridgeview. JJ's Bait. He can get me anything from Bass Pro. I don't have to pay any shipping charges. He also has all the terminal tackle in stock and also Minnows, wax worms, crawlers, etc. He gives me a healthy dozen and very good prices. I can even have my reels fixed, He sends them out and the turn around time is about a week.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I'm a Cabelas man myself as far as online buying goes. For in store I go to the Gander Mountain in Rockford. I wish you well on any future endeavor, but it will be hard to compete price wise and selection wise with the buying power of the biggies.(Cabelas, Bass Pro, and Gander Mountain)

·
Premium Member
10,336 Posts
10inchgill said:
a good tackle store lacks thill products. overpriced bobbers.
They are only overpriced if they don't work... Thill (no longer owned by our own wonderful MicksoldtherightsThill) products do work... Those round Beachball type bobbers don't work well, so even at a penny a piece, they'd be overpriced...
I have half a Plano 3600 stocked with Thill floats and Quills and tie one on everytime out regardless of where I am fishing...
I'm not pushing anyones angling theories, but ultra light 2lb test line, #10 hooks baited with a waxie and a Thill Shybite or Mini-float will put you on some fun fishing days...

·
Registered
122 Posts
ja-knee-sea said:
.. Thill (no longer owned by our own wonderful MicksoldtherightsThill)

No kidding? Well, shoot. I buy a couple different styles of float, as I can't justify losing a half dozen thills a day when fishing snag heavy areas, but I always kind of smiled when I bought them thinking I was supporting a guy who gives back. I guess I still am, kind of. Is there anything **** is still directly tied to?

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Luscious Jackson said:
Is there anything **** is still directly tied to?
His are now MickThill floats.
He just doesn't have the right to call them Thill floats.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Cabelas, Bass Pro, and Barlows are all I need. At certain times of the year or set dollar amounts you have no shipping costs. Quite often I have gone to BP to check out an item and purchase it on-line later at a better price.

Cabelas has over 1000 people working at their Sidney HQ. Is that someone you'd like to compete with?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Chromeseeker.....don't listen to these na sayers. Sounds like a bunch of negative (or realist) attitudes out there! I believe with enough hard work and the know how it could be done. Starting off as big as the other stores might be out of the question, and yes you'll have to have a nice loan or chunk of money to start, but it's like most small bussiness'. Start small and hopefully grown to your potential. Look at this site, as far as I understand (I just found this site less than a year ago) this site has come a long way. And bass pro and cabelas had to start somewherell. So don't listen to these pessimist. No substitute for hard work. I say go for it!!! Hell....I kind of want to help!!! :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts