ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished LaSalle taoday from 1 to 6, Sunny with winds from the E/SE at about 5-15 mph. Biked over to hot water side, threw rooster tails, shad raps, and twister tails with only 1 taker (11" largie). Wind then started blowing a little gustier from the south, so fished south side of center dike, picked a couple of smallies (12" & 15"). Now for the fun part, in deciding to fish the center dike ran a cross a couple of geese. No problem, just walked them down aways, till i ran out of room & "had" to pass them. So I hopped on my bike rode passed, while one ran along side me (ticked off of course). Then 3 more start coming up from the sides of the dike hissing and such, the last one decides to play chicken with me (I won). One even flying after me a bit. Now I'm freaked out. Get passed them and fish for another 20 or so minutes (picked up my bigger smallie there), then decide to head home. Packed up my gear and strapped it down for the upcoming "gauntlet of geese." Got up a full head of steam up & charged through all the hissing & running geese. I get through them all, turn around & one's airborne about 10 feet behind me. Nearly ran me off the dike, as I took the look back. Ran into the caretaker/intendant guy on the bike ride in. He says that they have nests out there, eggs should be hatching in 3-4 weeks??? Said that they broadsided a couple of people already. So, for all the newbies (including myself) going out to LaSalle soon, stay away from the center dike or take extreme caution. Especially for those foggy/steamy days days out there. Didn't see too much otherwise, most people I talked to said they were catching a few but with no size. Saw a guy take home a few catfish probably about 14". By the way all fish released.

Question for all the regulars out there (LaSalle):

1. Is this a new "problem" at LaSalle with the geese? I've read reports of bank anglers fishng down to 500, but I don't remember reading about people running into them. Were they there when the shuttle was around?

2. Is cleaning of your catch allowed on premises? Many catfish/bullhead carcasses on rocks.

Thanks and good luck,
RAM

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would like to train one of those geese to be a watch dog. In just watching them on those dikes from the boat, they are some nasty, mean critters. I f they ever decide to attack someone while in a boat, where do you run. You may get a good floggin' before you get your engine cranked up. Between geese (Lasalle variety) and sea gulls, I cannot make up my mind which is more like a rat with wings.

·
Registered
83 Posts
As long as I've been fishing LaSalle, the geese have been defending their nests. They will gang up on you too. Just keep in mind that all they are doing is defending their territory. Later in the year when the young ones are bigger, they wont be as aggressive but they will come after you if harass them.

I've seen them go after boaters but not at LaSalle. If you wave your arms and yell they'll fly by. Just be ready for a second wave.

Geese will bite if they are disturbed and you let them get close enough so be careful. In the past I've waved the poles at them and they've backed off. I've seen others wave their arms wildly and yell to back them off. Only once at LaSalle have I ever seen one actually bite someone, all the others backed off. Just try not to hurt them even though they are pests. Just like a dog, if they sense you are afraid, they're less likely to back off until you're out of their kingdom.

Cleaning your catch is only legal if you discard the waste properly. You can not leave guts or even legally toss them into the water. See the 2002 ILDNR fishing booklet for specifics. It's available almost everywhere for free. You can also check the IL DNR web site. The rules are there too.

http://dnr.state.il.us/

Good Luck!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: wda on 2002-04-07 20:11 ]</font>

G

·
Ram,

From the IL DNR regs.

CLEANING FISH ON WATERS
No fish entrails or carcass may be disposed of into the waters of Illinois after cleaning. No fish species may be dressed (filleted or head and tail removed)on any waters to which length limits are applicable.

<marquee> "I spend most of my life fishing, the rest I'm trying to remember". </marquee>

G

·
I've never encountered any problems with geese at Lasalle primarily because I've never fished the lake. However, the pond in my neighborhood has a resident population which can be very aggressive once they are on their nests. I accidentally found a great way to get them to back off one day when I was fishing after a rain shower. I had one of those little collapsable umbrellas with me in case I had walk home in a down pour and when one of 'em charged me with the intent of attacking me, I grabbed my umbrella from the ground and it popped open between me and the hissing honker. This must have made me suddenly look bigger and scared the fertilizer out of the goose! Ever since then, I have kept one with me whenever I fish from land during nesting season.

I plan on fishing Lasalle this week if Mother Nature cooperates. You can bet that I'll have one on my boat after this report.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
The carcasses are probably fish that got caught up on the rocks and died...

As far as Geese go, they've always backed down for me. I've always treated them like dogs (show no fear, don't turn your back, don't run, etc.) and have never had one give me grief. Sometimes I'll hiss right back at them and spread my wings too!

·
Registered
174 Posts
That's the way to do it fishart. =) It wouldn't be a first for me.

I noticed though that when I'm approaching spring geese on a bike, they preceive it as a attack more so then just walking around them. I guess zipping right towards them on a bike @ 20 mpg would look more theatening then just walking by. I know it would to me.

Just remember: Waterfowl season will be here before you know it. =)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Anyone here "actually" been bitten by a goose? I mean, you, personally, not your brother, mother, neighbor, etc.

They aren't K-9s but they ain't rabbits either. Just curious.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts