ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been going to gov't pier last two years, and all I have caught was 2..T.T...I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but think I need to learn more about fish. This year, my goal is to at least hook 3...any suggestion how to rig and what kind of rig is the best to use?? also, what time of the day is the effective fishing time?? Thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don`t know when the best time is but I`m going to try it tomorrow morning.Going to try some shinners,and large roaches.

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Forget about Waukegan ! Go to Kenosha harbor as soon as the ice is out and catch a ton of browns. You'll fish your brains out at waukegan and catch one fish a month. At Kenosha you'll have much better luck.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Kenosha

I agree with big saw go to Kenosha gas is cheap and there aint no fish in Waukegan anyway. Last year I didnt land over 100 fish until Early April (starting in March) and they were all small too, you will catch 1,000s up in Kenosha. Dont forget yer license and to make sure you throw out yer bait every time u are near the water or pay 275.00 I bet there getting some bang for there buck up there and its nothing to catch 20lbrs up there either any questions just ask big saw how he does it. /yourock
GLGF :-D :-D :-D A little sarcasm never hurt anybody.

P.S. bring yer *********** tee shirts and make sure you tell everybody green bay packers sucks, they love Bear fans. Make sure ya tell em which car is yours too, they like that. Your sure to make lots of friends up there. Dont forget Bret Favre sucks too. One last thing they do accept Visa ya may need it.
Fin

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
WOW Don't hold back ! You are correct though with most everything you said.
* Correct, there are no fish at waukegan (well maybe 14).
* Incorrect, gas is not cheap it's expensive! But gotta go where the fish are.
* Correct, the very few fish that are at Waukegan are smaller.
* Correct, thousands of fish ARE caught at Kenosha
* Correct, don't forget your license, which costs more, but then of course you catch more fish.
* Incorrect, why would you throw your bait away when your done fishing. Spawn and waxies last for a long time. Shiners or roaches could be kept on the porch or the refrigerator for a long time as well.
*Correct I saw several 20# fish caught there this fall. Three of them were browns. Unfortunately my best is only 18lbs 3 oz.
*Correct, Ask me anything because I'm the best fisherman in the world ! /slapy
* Incorrect I would NEVER wear a Green Bay shirt.
* Correct, Bret Farve does stink. All those playoff attempts and accept for one super bowl he managed to blow them all.
* Correct, they love my car , who wouldn't. It is a Mercedes 600.
* Incorrect, I don't use a visa card. American Express Gold.

Taking all of the above B.S. into consideration, let me know when the ice is out at Waukegan we'll meet at the Salmon Stop and go get dem fishys!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Ok

BigSaw,
whisper whisper be careful and read those Wisconsin regulations REAL carefully cuz if you drive away without dumping those roaches and shiners and your driving a Mercedes 600 they can confiscate yer car and all yer gear and fine ya. Like I said if yer from Illinois double ditto that, no worries as u obviously have more money that ya need. I bet they give ya back that Mercedes for 60,000. Hopefully yer gear isnt as expensive as yer car cuz they auction everything and as long as your the top bidder ya get your stuff back along with the measley little fines. I guess its all about who ya talk too. They have spotting scopes(WI DNR) that can tell what color your 1/64 ounce jig is from a mile away and they take pictures so no disputing the charges. Just the facts. Be careful and definitely follow the rules ignorance of the law is one of their favorites and after so many points bye bye wisconsin license for a few years. Enjoy Kenosha I catch plenty in crappy old Waukegan and less crowds to boot. Enjoy Kenosha absolutely. I would be willing to make a little wager on who lands more weight in any given week u pick em. Be careful BigSaw and maybe after I bring in a few pictures you might give Waukegan a try maybe not. Either way enjoy your fishing always.Most of us would find those types expenses as prohibitive even if I caught a limit of 20lbrs. I am sure I will get my wisconsin license also and if the fishing is horrible in Waukegan I would probably try Wisconsin myself. I can actually here the sounds of the big lake from my backyard so sometimes I guess its just to easy. Just want to make sure folks are aware of the laws as they have changed in Wisconsin. Make sure your live well has no water and yer bilge is empty when ya leave any lake in Wisconsin. They are checking and they give real tickets and they accumulate points on yer license.
GLGF
Fin

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Just playing around with ya Fin. I'd love to join ya one morning in Waukegan. We also launch the boat out of Waukegan all year. Oh and the car is a 2000 Alero and an old wagon that I need a battery for, lol. But about the bait thing, I think the only thing I'd have to dump might be the minnows or roaches cause I might get nailed bringing them back at a later date. Am I right on that? I don't need any tickets or fines ! I know your right though. They love to crucify us FIBS.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Offer accepted

Bigsaw anytime you want to try Waukegan LMK I would be glad to wet a line with ya and even a beer or 2. If ya get a chance we could get some bait (late April early May) also which works in Wisconsin too not sure what the rules are for dead bait but would definitely check before ya try. I would be willing to give Kenosha a shot if it aint going in Waukegan been there done that many times.
GLGF
Fin

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
I don't know whats going on between you two but I know Fin catches fish at Wauk and so does Cory. The "only" time I fished at Wauk, I got skunked but that is fishing and not catching. Fins tactics work well even at Burnham. Do a search on spring tournaments. (Thanks Fin). Last year people griped how bad the season was, guess what, it was a banner year for me. Why? Try thinking out of the box and it just might work.

Love, Peace, Happiness.

Joel

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
big saw said:
Forget about Waukegan ! Go to Kenosha harbor as soon as the ice is out and catch a ton of browns. You'll fish your brains out at waukegan and catch one fish a month. At Kenosha you'll have much better luck.
I agree with big saw 100% Kenosha is the place. Last year I put in about 80+ hours fishing Waukegan and caught only 2 kings and a couple of steelies and I work M-F 8am to 5pm so alot of weekend time and nights were spent at Waukegan with nothing to show for. In Kenosha got my limits of Kings in 1 hour and the browns its just mad up there.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Doh

Folks,
Gotta love America and God given free will. The guy asks a question about WAUKEGAN and of course I put my OPINION about Waukegan thru my personal experiences there. I have been fishing long enough to know that the bite can be better at any particular place on any given day taking into consideration the presentation being utilized. Many times I have fished generally more than not I get fish if fish are present at that location and my presentation is right. I fish Waukegan because due to previous trips I have done well there. On any given day it could be South Rocks, Government pier or Johnson and 1 of them is generally better than the others. They have this cool feature (Gotta love the WWW) its called NEW TOPIC where you can open your own little world and make a topic called Kenosha land of the biggest fish on God's green earth and subsequently put all your photos of the 50 lb fish that you catch every day there and tell everyone how great it is. I got a little secret try Port Washington its really good there too open a new thread and put all your catches photos etc and post how great it is and how many big fish you catch there too. People have the common sense to either believe or give it a try based on there God given free will. I swear the largest Walleyes I have ever caught were at Lake Wisconsin so thats because I have done better there than at other places taking into the amount of time I put in fishing there. So people say where do you fish for Walleye and what do you use your going to get many different opinions on who what when and where use the information or do it your own way. I know many many good sticks that dont post there results just for the sake of avoiding argumets about whats best and anybody says I can do better than that. That being said you decide whether or not you find the information useful or not and try to duplicate that persons success. So maybe someone could open a thread about Kenosha and tell everyone its better than anywhere else in the galaxy enjoy. Go there fish there report about there but why put your comments in a thread where most of us wont benefit from it. I love to fish in Wisconsin but I am not going to put my shark fishing escapades in a Walleye forum either. I have fished in Kenosha and done well does it mean I will never go anywhere else(not me) I go where it fits my agenda and based on past experiences. So everybody go where you do best and enjoy it share your success and information and open a topic that we all can relate too and maybe learn something. Personally everyone go to Kenosha that leaves more fish here in Waukegan where I fish. Get out wet a line and enjoy having the time to go out and fish, talk to your kids or friends while yer there and enjoy just being outside. To each his own enjoy your day no matter where that may be. Personally I cant count how many time have caught my limit in less than an hour in WAUKEGAN. My personal best was catching and releasing more than 30 Kings in a day with my largest just over 29lbs back in the late eighties(stopped due to i could not turn the handle on the reel anymore arms cramping along with my wrists). I have caught countless Brown Trout over 10lbs. Rainbows over 16lbs and Perch that look like small walleye. 9lb Coho's etc. From now on I will post my fishing adventures under threads for Waukegan under Johnson Pier and others as I fish this area more than others.
GLGF
Fin

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Could someone PM me about Kenosha? (Where to fish, when to fish, license, parking, type of rig, bait, etc. I would LOVE to go up there and try it out with someone - and I wouldn't even mind driving. I just want to catch fish!) I keep hearing all these good things. I'm pretty new to salmon / trout fishing on the big lake. I can speak from experience though...Last run (Septmeber/October) I fished Waukegan many times. It's convenient for me because I work in Lake Bluff, but I got a skunk each and every time. It was crazy packed...and saw very few fish caught. I probably put in a good 50-75 hours and didn't catch a thing...I had a few bumps...but thats it! And I don't think it was just me. For the amount of people out there fishing, the salmon were far and few between.

Maybe in 1988 they were there, but in 2007 they definitely were not (for me, and through observation of the 20 or so times I went out)

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
mplant1 said:
Could someone PM me about Kenosha? (Where to fish, when to fish, license, parking, type of rig, bait, etc. I would LOVE to go up there and try it out with someone - and I wouldn't even mind driving. I just want to catch fish!) I keep hearing all these good things. I'm pretty new to salmon / trout fishing on the big lake. I can speak from experience though...Last run (Septmeber/October) I fished Waukegan many times. It's convenient for me because I work in Lake Bluff, but I got a skunk each and every time. It was crazy packed...and saw very few fish caught. I probably put in a good 50-75 hours and didn't catch a thing...I had a few bumps...but thats it! And I don't think it was just me. For the amount of people out there fishing, the salmon were far and few between.

Maybe in 1988 they were there, but in 2007 they definitely were not (for me, and through observation of the 20 or so times I went out)

They weren't at Burnham either. "wink" I guess Fin and I caught yours.

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
mplant1 said:

That sound like me until I found out about Kenosha. :)2

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
mplant1 said:
Legend, I've got to go!
Should be good to go for this weekend with the warm weather but I will be at Lasalle on Saturday for the opening day and possible be at Lake Geneva on Sunday for ice fishing.
Take 294 North
Exit at 158 and go east and that will take the harbor.

Big saw, I lost my PM privilages and can not reply back. Check out this website. Its like google earth but better. It gives you the present pictures of the area. It will be able to tell you if there is ice or not in the N Harbor.

http://maps.live.com/

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks, but what time of day should I go?? is it afternoon ok too?? What type of rigging should I use...

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Kenosha harbor is still half frozen and the water is very cloudy. Not much of anything going on yet. As far as time of day to go, at this time of year, anytime. Bait can be spoons, spawn, waxies and a tube jig. Going next week thursday, maybe conditions should be ok by then.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts