ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Last Saturday, I caught and released 6 walleyes between 12 and 16 inch long in the late evening until around 8 pm! Nothing after 8 pm until 9 pm! I fished a private lake at inlet creek which is a good water current flowing into the lake! The water is between 2 and 5 feet deep and rock shoreline. I know several walleyes over 5 lbs in the lake but my question is that all I caught is male? so big walleye would show up later late night? Like around midnight? I used 1/4 oz chart jig and 3" yellow twister! I also caught some on no. 9 sinking Rapala at night in the past! I am not walleye expert but I like to hear from what's your answer! Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
About the only time i can tell'em apart is pre-spawn obvious signs will be the bloated females. If it is'nt bloated give a gentle squeeze and the males will milk right out and other times the post spawn females can have a little bit more eggs in there to squeeze out. Having the same problem on K3 curious if guys are still catching some girthy females. Water temps can give a sign but the fish speak louder.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yeah, those all sound like males. They are probably staging for the spawn...the females would be out a little bit deeper.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts