ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We started fishing Plum Island from top to bottom. Only two white bass, my partner caught 4 sheephead on nightcrawlers.
We found the fish across from the Vermilion River. Due to high winds we could not do a controlled drift so we anchored in 9 ft. of water. We made quartering casts into the deeper water. We had hits on almost every cast for two hours. Half the fish we caught were in the 2 pound class. These were the largest white bass I have ever caught on the Illinois River. The fish were all on the bottom. They hit 3/8 th oz. charturse fireball jigs tipped with minnows. I tried several artificials but they did not run deep enough.
With today's rain raising and making the water dirty I do not expect this pattern to be in place for the next few days.

·
Registered
241 Posts
That sucks. We were going to head out there today but decided to go to braidwood because of the wheather report calling for all that rain we expected the river to get really dirty. Oh well we'll get them next time

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.