ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup, love me some river fishin', in this case the impounded North Fork river in the central Ozarks. I invited the one and only Glenn "Whoa" Longshoreman to enjoy a few days at my place around Thanksgiving fishing for smallies, largies, spots and others of the line-sided variety.

For the blacks most any finesse type presentation in green pumpkin such as these fished on creek channel banks seemed to their liking.

Won't bother with any fish pics on these as most (most) know what these guys look like.

Between dodging incessant downpours and 25mph winds for hours upon hours, managed to also get on a decent bite for stripers, hybrids and some rather impressive white bass.

Similar to all other fish species, under circumstances of angling futility, these too might be considered finicky and elusive. But then again we tagged 'em pretty good so apparently not so finicky and elusive after all; out the window with that theory LMAO.

Whoa, pullin' some line

In the boat

With a bit of knowing where to look on expansive main river flats in 50-60 FOW and decent electronics, it was fairly easy to see when the chaos was about to begin.

How can you get tired of seeing all those scrawny rinky dink pike being man handled
by boga gripps and white bass the size of my pecker??

My what a large white bass you have.

Binks spoon fished both horizontally and vertically on the Airrus XEntity 7'3'' MH was a great setup for this and did much of the damage.

Might be the last trip for this purrrty Kitty, she's for sale as I'm start shopping for my next BCB.

· Premium Member
3,452 Posts
I don't think superfluke adequately described just how nasty the weather was on our trip.
We spent all day, every day, in the boat, where it was either raining, drizzling, or misting CONSTANTLY! Not to mention the ever present, never ending, wind :mad:
Thankfully, my knock-off rainsuit kept me more or less dry. At the end of our stay, I just pulled my rainsuit apart in pieces and tossed it.

A few interesting observations about our trip and Arkansas in general...

Well, the folks in AR were always very friendly and very polite at all times. Every business I went into was always staffed by friendly and well mannered folk. The strange thing was, I didn't see a single minority {of any type} in my 3 or 4 day stay.

Then, towards the end of our trip, things quickly became very, very surreal for me...

One day, I stopped at a local place in town for a take out meal. I drank a beer while waiting for the food to be prepared and asked about the bathroom. "Shoot, it's out back" was the cheerful reply from the cook.

This is what I encountered:

On the way back, I saw a Santa walking along the side of the road :confused:.

I felt compelled to park in a small gravel turn around and ask him what his story was. It turns out that he walks to a children's hospice center :( every few days and cheers up the kids:)2:)2:)2.
Here's where things get very strange. In the time that it took me to park my Rav 4 and walk 100' to chat with Santa, a "local boy" in a rusted out pick-up, swerves quickly off the highway and parks next to my vehicle. Next thing you know, this greasy haired/semi toothless phuck starts walking around my car looking in the windows :eek:.
Of course by now I am in a full sprint towards my car, and this a$$hole jumps back in his truck and slowly pulls out onto the highway. But not before calmly proclaiming to me "nice ride" :eek:.

5 minutes later, I pull into a liquor store to buy some rum/coke.
In the drive through {yes, a drive through} a woman pulls up while I'm checking out and slurs,"gimme a 12er of Busch". Well, the cashier made the unforgivable error of getting her a 6 pack. That drunk hag lit into him for his mistake and so he sheepishly gave her the 12 pack she wanted...

The 15 minute time frame above is easily the craziest few minutes of my life in last 20 years...

· Premium Member
1,508 Posts
-

Nice photo post. Stripers have always gotten my attention. Cool species.

-

I've used those Zoom Fish Dr.s for years. Fantastic finesse bait. Most species can't resist it and are absolute suckers for it.

-

Funny read Glen. LOl. Thanks for posting about it.
I could only imagine the look on your face during each of those occurrences.

Specifically with the local yocal scoping your car and knowing how cautious you are with your tackle bags.

-

-

· Premium Member
3,452 Posts
After much reflection, I feel that I must share an unfortunate incident that happened on our trip...
While we were bass fishing the ledges, I lucked out and hooked a giant walleye {at least to me}.
I mean this fish's tail was as wide as 4 fingers on my hand splayed open ! The white marking on the tail was as big and bright as my thumb...:eek:

Well, as I carefully manuevered the fish boat side, superfluke proceeded to poke the fish in the forehead a few times while attempting to net it {uncharacteristic of him btw}. Sure enough, the fish popped off and swam away to the depths...
A tragedy for me but superfluke brushed it off as no big deal {only because he has caught 100's of 25"+ walleye in his life, while I, unfortunately have only caught a handful of that size}. Tension in the boat ran high afterwards while I contemplated my options. I decided to simply complain about the incident for 10 minutes or so, then I let it rest. :-D

Even though the story above is absolutely true, I still feel privileged to fish with Tim.
He opened the doors to his house in Arkansas to me and made me feel extraordinarily welcome. That's why it is very easy to me to forget his lapse of judgement while netting that GIANT walleye.

· Premium Member
3,773 Posts
After much reflection, I feel that I must share an unfortunate incident that happened on our trip...
While we were bass fishing the ledges, I lucked out and hooked a giant walleye {at least to me}.
I mean this fish's tail was as wide as 4 fingers on my hand splayed open ! The white marking on the tail was as big and bright as my thumb...:eek:

Well, as I carefully manuevered the fish boat side, superfluke proceeded to poke the fish in the forehead a few times while attempting to net it {uncharacteristic of him btw}. Sure enough, the fish popped off and swam away to the depths...
A tragedy for me but superfluke brushed it off as no big deal {only because he has caught 100's of 25"+ walleye in his life, while I, unfortunately have only caught a handful of that size}. Tension in the boat ran high afterwards while I contemplated my options. I decided to simply complain about the incident for 10 minutes or so, then I let it rest. :-D

Even though the story above is absolutely true, I still feel privileged to fish with Tim.
He opened the doors to his house in Arkansas to me and made me feel extraordinarily welcome. That's why it is very easy to me to forget his lapse of judgement while netting that GIANT walleye.

Yea sucks to hear that Fonz. Had that that happen to me a few times. Crappy feeling no doubt.

· Registered
693 Posts
With a bit of knowing where to look on expansive main river flats in 50-60 FOW and decent electronics, it was fairly easy to see when the chaos was about to begin.

My what a large white bass you have.

Binks spoon fished both horizontally and vertically on the Airrus XEntity 7'3'' MH was a great setup for this and did much of the damage.

I am planning on heading down there mid November and would like to expand my fishing beyond the tailwaters and other streams. Lake Norfork looks quite intimidating with its size and depth. Would you be kind enough to enlighten me on where you would launch out of this time of year and what to look for as far as a starting point to begin fishing? Are those Binks spoons as productive as he claims them to be? And yes, your white bass is much larger than mine!!:)2

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.