ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I'll have to find that issue.Bob long jr. must be a busy,Last year I met him and he gave me a bunch of his rabbit strip flies (the ones with lead eyes and a tail aprox.2 or 3 inches long).They fished great.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Here is the Wiggle Hex that I tie. Basically a copy and combination of all the patterns that I have copied.

Materials: All Olive Wiggle Hex nymph
Wing case- turkey wing feather
tail- A little olive marabou
body- olive rabbit or Olive marabou dubbing
hackle- partrige (the Brown part)
Rib- copper wire
Eyes- burned mono eyes (optional)

I run a strip of turkey wing up the back of the back hook before I tie in the ribbing.

I tie this on two #10 egg fly hooks(wider gap that traditional nymph hook). Some streams will not allow this fly (two hooks) so be careful.
I tie the back hook first. Basic nymph tying technique.
I then tie the mono to the first hook and apply super glue. Then run the mono through the second hook and tie the loose end of the mono down to the first hook. So now you have the finshed back hook attached to the front hook with a loop of mono which is tied down and super glued.
Then finish the fly by tying the front hook. I usually have the front hook covered entirely by the wing case(turkey wing). I tie in the partridge hackle and the split it with the wing case.

And there you are. I hope I haven't confused anyone. This pattern has been very productive for me when steelhead fishing. Also, Carp like the wiggle hex. If you don't like to use two hooks, then clip off one of them after the nymph is finished.

Scud

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.