ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in my garage yesterday afternoon when I could have sworn I heard a turkey in the wetlands across the street. Now, the wetlands are fairly big and support deer, coyote and plenty of critters. My neighbor (who works with the county, planning wetlands and retention ponds) says it could very well have been a turkey. I know they're in the forest preserves, but to have them in the middle of my subdivision would be pretty interesting!

Has anyone seen any wild turkeys in the Elgin/So Elgin area?

·
Registered
580 Posts
They are ALL over Rockford. Walking across streets, golf courses, even on my deck. Never saw one in Naperville and I lived closer to forests there than here. Maybe the population is making a comeback?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Can't say anything about the Elgin area but I can concur with what usairforce22 said about the Rockford area. I've seen many out here in the 3 1/2 years I've lived out this way. Alot of them around the Perryville Rd/Route 173 area (near Rock Cut S.P.) Saw 5 at once along Perryville road one day. Also alot around the Rt 251/Hononegah Rd area in Roscoe.
Saw a dead one that got hit along the road there just a few days ago. They definately seem to be thriving in the Rockford, Loves Park, Machesney Park, Roscoe, Rockton areas.

·
Premium Member
11,722 Posts
smitty said:
Has anyone seen any wild turkeys in the Elgin/So Elgin area?
Most definitely.
I had them in my yard by Lord's Park when I lived in Elgin.
When I was growing up in a unicorporated area west of Dundee there were times we had 8 of them in our back yard.
We used to feed them bird seed on our picnic table.
The hens would jump right up on it to eat it and the toms were tall enough to stand on the patio and eat.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Making a comeback, is an understatement. Illinois' efforts to repopulate, have worked.They are very abundant in Lasalle County. There are times I see 50-60 in one field by Ottawa. I see them in the back yard from time to time near Starved Rock.

Sightings this time of year are very common. Its "get freaky" time for them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.