ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made it to the shores of ole JC Murph at 5:30. Was greeted by 15 mph winds out of the east. Definitely less than ideal for a ten foot kayak rated for 275 pounds.(I weigh 250 and I'm sure my anchor and gear put me north of that threshold) Once you tuck yourself in a pocket surounded by reeds you hardly needed to anchor though. Took about a half hour to find them and it was non stop after that. I threw weightless plastics, Texas rigged plastics and a couple of top waters. No lure really outshined the other, but green pumpkin seemed to work best as far as color went. The fish were tight to cover and I wish I had brought a casting reel with braid. The 12 pound test trilene held well with the exception of one pike that was well over ten pounds and forty inches.(by far the largest I've hooked into on these waters) I don't think the fish really started to fight until I reached in the water to get under his gill plate. The sights and sounds were breathtaking and amplified by the fact I was gliding through the water on my kayak. Also stopped by the new bait shop by the entrance and chatted with the owner briefly. Stand up guy loaded with good advice. He even loaned me a topwater since all I brought was one moss boss. Final tally was 15 bass and all but a couple were in the 2-3 pound range. We were loading the truck by 8:30.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts