ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drowned some minnows for a couple hours today with hounddog2 in Yorkville. The weather ended up being perfect for the first wading of the season and the rain really didn’t affect the water levels or color too much. Water temp was 59 to 61 degrees. Caught a couple nice smallmouth (one I never lifted from the water) a 10-inch walleye and a largemouth. Had quite a few pickups but I still hadn’t shaken of the rust from the winter. Hounddog2 rolled 4 real good fish, we saw some nice boils and then a line sent back clean, jig and all. Highlight of the day for me was when we were fishing some shallow wood and shooting the breeze, a 12 inch small mouth jumped right next to Hounddog missing his face by inches and dropping in right in between his arms. Rattled him, I laughed my a$$ off. Lowlight of the day, a guy dragging off a 40 inch Muskie off on a stringer. I’ll keep all my comments to myself. I was great hooking up with someone from the board and wetting a line. We were hoping to bump into Razzo but we didn’t see him. Not sure how you shake hands with a guy with no thumbs.

<marquee> "I spend most of my life fishing, the rest I'm trying to remember". </marquee>

·
Registered
461 Posts
Razzo was home playing Mr. Mom. One day I'll be able to fish again - one day.

God report.

Maybe I'll shake hands with you another day without my thumbs.

Take Care,
Razzo

·
Registered
461 Posts
Marc,

Sorry for any confusion about the clean-up. We had rescheduled it for:

Date: Saturday May 4th & Time: 10:00am

Hope you can make that date too. There is a post about the date change. Right now it is about the forth post from the top.

At least you got to fish.

Razzo

·
Registered
37 Posts
Why would that guy keep a 40 inch Muskie? It's a nice fish and all but it's kinda small for mounting and crap to eat. I hate d*******s like that. That fish should have been released.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bassman on 2002-04-21 20:04 ]</font>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe the man hooked the muskie deep, or couldnt properly return the fish to the water with killing her.Just maybe we should take a few things in consideration sometime!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well you know Anonymous that fish was still fighting like an SOB on that stringer, it was the damnest thing you’ll ever see. So I can't remember which it was but out of curiosity my partner or a gentlemen from DNR that I spoke to (regarding the size of the fish kept)asked the guy what he was going to do with the fish and he said he just wanted to bring it back for his neighbor to eat.

Just maybe we should take a few things in consideration sometime!

I held my tongue before but since you rattled my cage, Muskie should be returned to the Fox (unless you want to keep a trophy for the wall, I’ll pass) because it’s a resource that is just beginning to flourish. Have you ever eaten a Muskie Anonymous? Me neither, one of the boniest fish you’ll find. I did watch a guy fillet one once though, hacked it to ribbons trying to get out all the bones.

I took everything into consideration when I kept my opinions to myself but selective harvest should include releasing any fish that does not have a predominate position in the tributary you are fishing. That fish didn’t have anything wrong with it until it had a stringer stuck through its gill’s and the guy was walking around waving it like a flag. Sometimes you need to take the fishery into consideration.

<marquee> "Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" </marquee>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Marc on 2002-04-21 20:23 ]</font>

·
Registered
21 Posts
Muskies are not native to the Fox. The river ecosystem is "artifical". If a person has a license and is not violating any law then who are we to preach?
Press the DNR for catch and release. Press the DNR for 70"+ keeper size for musky. Push for a Conservation Officer every 100 feet along the river.
And remember everyone is entitled to their opinion, as long as they agree with me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would have put it back . but if he didn,t brake any laws and hes going to eat it good for him.as for cleaning it just got to no what your doing .I guess you dont.I wouldn't be so hi and mighty seems you cut one to ribbons.AND muski and northern are vary good to eat if you no how to clean them.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
I think you guys need to read the posts more carefully before laying into someone. Marc said the "lowlight of the day" was seeing the Musky on the stringer. He didn't say that he went and harassed or preached at the fisherman for keeping it. I guess you could say it was Marc's *opinion* that observing the guy keeping the Musky was discouraging. It's also *my opinion* that it's discouraging and dumb, but if it's legal, who am I to rip the guy who's keeping the fish. Maybe we could try to tactfully reason with some of these guys that it would make more sense to release certain fish like this.

If you'd also read his other post more carefully, he didn't say that he kept a Musky. He said he'd never eaten Musky, but observed a guy make a mess of trying to clean one.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ron G on 2002-04-22 10:33 ]</font>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ron G thanks for clarifying for the group the spirit of my post. It’s nice to see that someone is taking the time to read and understand the content in a posted message.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'm not too sure about the regulations concerning the fox muskie population as I am 100% C&R concerning muskies (we'll see how my ethics are compromised if I ever land a state record... but that's what fiberglass replicas are for), however I know there is a 48-49" limit on the chain of lakes up north... I was under the impression that this limit would apply to the entire fox... but I guess not. If anglers want to keep the fox as a valuabe muskie fishery (that is just begginning to flourish), then we need to push for higher size limits or catch and release only regulations. For those of you who hate the rough fish like carp and suckers, (I for one love to tie into a monster carp), its the larger end muskies that will keep these rough fish populations down... anyway... enough ranting from me.

Love a muskie, let it go!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts