ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished by the 47 bridge for a few hours very early this morning, the hour before light producted one 17+ walleye & one very big fish lost (ain't that always the way it goes?), went down to Blackberry creek & fished all the way down to the mouth with only one hit by the big brushpile. Met and spoke to a fella named Chuck Rogers (Friends of the Fox)He talked of an upcoming "Clean-Up Day" they are planning, I suggested he visit us here on CLF to see if there couldn't be some coordinated effort as some of you have expressed a desire to do the same. Back to the Bridge for a few last casts before going home to dry out (started raining pretty good by this time) picked up another 18" Eye that I'm sorry to say I took home for lunch, I say sorry NOT because there is anything wrong with taking a few fish to eat once in a while but because after filleting the fish I remembered why I don't eat fish from the Fox, they taste the way the river smells, but then I think that of ALL river fish, be it the Fox, Illinois, or the Kank, I swear you could give me 3 fillets, one from each river and I can tell you which fish came from what river! I solomnly swear I will not keep Fox River Fish ever again! Promise! If I want Fish for lunch I'll go the Lake Michigan & catch some Perch!

·
Registered
461 Posts
<font color="#FFFF00">Third shift was a good one - aye?</font>

"one very big fish lost (ain't that always the way it goes?)" <font color="#FFFF00">There is a school of very big carp that hang out there. Depending on the exact spot you can usually count on snagging a couple and letting them take you for a ride. Good job on the two nice eyes.</font>

Razzo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Razzo on 2002-04-07 18:26 ]</font>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Know the spot you speak of, I was right by the parking lot casting to the riffle behind that small island in front of the bridge drifting a 3" chartruese twister w/white Glo Jig (no meat), all hits can from the back end of the hole there. fish lost was definately an Eye!

·
Registered
197 Posts
maybe, instead of worrying about out-posting greg, you should be re-lining your reels...or! it takes a reel(intended) man to admit he's been broken off by an oversized perch...i personaly, would have agreed with raz on the carp angle.
i "will" lose sleep worring about your scathing retort but in the mean time check your private messages. tt. d

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Broken off? Who said anything about being broken off? Due in part because I change my line more often than most guys change lures (or wifes) and also due to my amazing angling skills...I couldn't tell you the last time I lost a fish because my line snapped, and my knots test out at 120% of line strength (maybe I'll show it to you some time!)No...the "oversized Perch" I lost just got lucky & shuck the hook! And if you would spend more time checking your E-Mail and less time thinking up snappy RETORTS to MY posts you'd see that I responded to your PM earlier! I can see where we are gonna have a fun day, definately, gonna have a fun day!!!! LOL!!!

PS. The Carp hole is one bridge piling to the north of the island, I was fishing the much faster water of the Walley/Smallie hole south of the island!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Bob,
What was the water temp ??? Also, did you snag that smallie, off a bed ??? Don't freak. Yuk-Yuk :)20 :)20 :)20

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What was the water temp ???
Too COLD! Thank God for Toe Warmers!

did you snag that smallie, off a bed ???
No, That one came off a ¼ stick of TNT, I had to superglue it back together for the picture!

Don't freak.
If and when I decide to "get my Freak on" you or nobody else could stop me, I just be like dat!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would look into how your cooking them, or better yet how your taking care of them before the pan. There is no bad taste to the fish on all the rivers you mentioned? I will take you up on your bet, but I do the catching and cooking.
DocFish

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No need to cook, (why bother...I wont eat it anyway) I can smell it as soon as I slice the fish open, each river produces a very different and distinct smell that permeates the fish down to its bones, NOTHING can get rid of it, at least nothing I'd care to eat!
!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bob Hicks on 2002-04-12 06:07 ]</font>

·
Registered
280 Posts
<font color="#00FFFF">That's a bunch of crap there is nothing wrong with eating river fish.I have taken cats from the river for years and there is nothing wrong with them :)25Bill D></font>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fishinglineman,
To each his own, I think they STINK! if YOU can't smell or taste anything nastyfunkynasty in those Illinois/Fox river fish, well then hey...enjoy your dinner guy!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
how do you get down to the carp hole, what side is it on, from what it sounds like you syy its on the blackberrycreek side, and i didnt know that you could get down there, what is the best place for catfish in yorkville?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The best "Carp hole" is the north side of the Main Island just below the Dam, the other is the channel just north of the Bridge Island, you can wade across river to get to both. In my opinion the best place for Cats is fishing right up in the boil just below the dam, drop shot a couple of shrimp or a soft-shell crawdad in between the boils at the face of the dam, BE CAREFUL in this area, don't try to get yourself in the boil, use a long rod & drop your bait into the slack spots between boils, let the weight hit bottom then leave just a very little slack in your line, if you see it move off in a direction you don't think it should be moving SET THE HOOK! Sometimes the cats wont hit it hard but will take it and move off to avoid competition for your bait from other fish, best time will be as the water gets near the 70º mark, that's when they will spawn, so they will be fattening up just before then. If you don't like the idea of working the dam try a slip bobber rig set so the bait just bumps the bottom in that area where the current runs around the south end of the island, don't cast your bait, just drop it in front of you & let the current take it downstream, if you don't get bit on a 50 yd. drift reel in & do it again, crawdads, shrimp, big river shiners, Wheaties & Hamburger, cube steak chunks, chicken livers are my choices for bait (in that order) although the Wheaties bait is for drift fishing only. Hope this helps get you some!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
The KING of Shrimp places crawdads ahead of his fave bait? :)23
Mine is Crawdads, live (or mutilated) golden roaches, then crawdads. Did I mention crawdads?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Going back to the eating of river fish, I love eating fish from the Fox. Besides it only takes 2-3 days to get the feeling back in the lower 1/2 of your body , and the uncontrolable twitching usally stops after an hour or two.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ive been eating fish from the Fox for years.Started with some of the comments like past posts about the flavor of the fish.This can be fixed.You can take a walleye out of the fox and have it taste like it came right out of Erie.Soap your catch in buttermilk the catch in buttermilk for a couple of hours or overnight,this will take that mud taste away.If anyone needs any recipes for cats,walleyes,and or crappie send ma a message and I have about 100 of them

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it only takes 2-3 days to get the feeling back in the lower 1/2 of your body
...And I thought that was just from standing in the cold water!

the uncontrolable twitching usally stops after an hour or two
ttwwwiitchcchchinngnngngng????? Whhwhwhhwhwattat ttwwwiitchcchchinngnngngng???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts