ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st attempt at CLF Image Hosting. If I did this right the picture will be another view of the 24" walleye I caught on 12/21/01. WTF posted the nicer picture back in December for me. This is just a different shot of that same fish.

I'll try to catch some more fish so I can post a current fish. What the hey, here goes my test.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Goodyear Pimp - thanks for the kudos.

Picture was taken with a 35mm and then scanned. I hope to break in the new digital camera this weekend. Nice weather, almost full moon, spawn time - could be good walleye action. I'll post.

Good Luck Y'all,
Razzo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Razzo on 2002-03-27 21:52 ]</font>

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Don't get me wrong I love those hard fightin' smallies....BUT...to come up with a beautiful walleye like that from the Fox is truly, IMHO, a better catch than an 18-20 smallmouth.
18-20 inch smallies, great catches indeed!
A walleye like that?
Hmmmm....
:)2

·
Registered
280 Posts
<font color="#00FFFF">Nice Walleye Razzo congrats!I have to agree Ed,I would much rather pull out a nice Walleye like this than a 20"Smallmouth.It's an odd thing, I guess it must be the "challenge factor"</font> :)23Bill D>

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have to disagree. A 20" smallmouth bass caught in a river will give you about all you can handle on an ultralight. Not to take anything away from Razzo's beautiful walleye but a 20" smallmouth could weigh as much as a 24" walleye and put up a much nicer fight. Personally I've never caught a 20" smallmouth but I have caught a walleye over 24". I must feel that way because I've had my big walleye but haven't had my trophy smallmouth fix yet. Maybe this will be my year and I'll let you know which experience I liked better.

·
Registered
280 Posts
<font color="#00FFFF">Just the opposite for me Paul,I am looking for that 24"Walleye. I have caught too many smallmouth from the river in the 20"range it's kinda like taking candy from a baby :)23just my oppinion bud.Bill D></font>

·
Registered
842 Posts
Nice fish Razzo. 24 inches huh? Very cool. I don't know about the doubters...those 23 and 24 inch walleyes fight pretty hard too and will stretch the heck out of your monofiliment. It was caught at night obviously. On a crankbait or livebait?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Nice fish Razzo. 24 inches huh? Very cool. I don't know about the doubters...those 23 and 24 inch walleyes fight pretty hard too and will stretch the heck out of your monofiliment. It was caught at night obviously. On a crankbait or livebait?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DarrenB,

That walleye was caught on a jig & twister. I guess I'll weigh in on the smallie vs walleye debate. That walleye was very rewarding because of all the learning, trial & error that went into catching it. I have been fortunate enough to do very well with the smallmouth. I have not caught a 20" smallie yet but last year I caught 2 that were about 19.5" and have had several 18". They were a blast and a treat to be fortunate enough to catch.

The walleye on the other hand were hard to come by. I have been trying to learn their ways for three years. This year I stepped up my intensity for them. I targeted one specific area (Yorkville) and learned where every little pebble is. I would talk to every angler that was willing to share and fished many hours before I started having consistent success with the walleyes. I didn't have to go through all that for smallmouth.

I hunted and searched and searched for big walleyes. I caught a zillion little ones before a big one. I found an area that seemed to me that it should be a good wintering spot for big walleyes. One night I fished the hole with George and he pulled out a very fat 22" walleye. BINGO! I was right! I was so excited to see George catch that fish. It told me my walleye sniffer was starting to work. After that, came my 24", two 18" and a couple 16" (not all on the same night and not all by me - but with the person I was fishing with).

So, I'd have to say that the walleye was more rewarding (but I won't give you the big smallies back either).

BTW: 100% of the above mentioned fish were released (I still reserve the right to Selectively Harvest).

What a great fishery we have been blessed with in the Fox.

Razzo

P/S: I am slow with the acronymes, what does IMHO mean?

P/S/S: Somebody should make a poll about the smallie vs walleye debate.

·
Registered
280 Posts
<font color="#00FFFF">Good post Razzo."IMHO" In My Humble Opinion.One thing that gets me out on the river the most is the potential to catch a fine Walleye like the one that you are posing with or a 25 plus pound Flathead.Yeah if I am getting skunked on these species I will change my rigging technique or area and fish for Smallmouths or whatever I can pull out but my fish of prefference starts with: Walleye,Flats,Musky/Northern Pike,Channels,Crappie,perch,Smallmouth,White or Yeallow Bass,Carp,Drum,Dogfish,oh BTW I forgot largemouth Bass &bullheads. :)23</font>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts