ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So decided to hit the fox by the North Aurora dam after dinner tonight. Caught few smallies and good conversation with a few fisherman. Decided to move down river a bit from the dam, came across a guy throwing a casting net so i figured he was just getting minnows. As i walked past him he pulled his net out with a 17 or 18 inch fat smallie, i thought he was going to throw it back but to my dismay he was holding on to it. I asked him if was going to put it back in the river he said no, thats when things got heated his son come down and they put it in a PLASTIC WALMART bag and his son brought it to the car... I had more then a few curse words flying at him, i had to walk away from him before i did something stupid.. I walked down river from him a bit and called the DNR they asked a bunch of info said they will try to send someone the STUPID POACHER left as soon as i was hanging up the phone. And yes to answer your ?'s , of course he was a non speaking American, go figure they take everything....#$#@!!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Unreal, but what more could you have done...nothing. Fighting him would have been just stupid and immature but I would have been as enraged as you. I try to avoid conflict when all possible but seeing something like that just might put me over the edge. When I go out to fish I fish HARD and sometimes I catch them and sometimes I dont. It would upset me to no end seeing someone just cast a net in and keep a fish that has way more value in the river than on the plate. Calling the DNR was the right thing to do, maybe getting his license plate would have been good too.

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
You can also try calling the local police.
But yes, if you get the license and the make & model of the car the CPO's will make note of it and watch out for the guy, especially when they are on the area of the report.

282 Posts
Dont tell them your going to call the dnr because they will leave before they get there.Call and stay away from them until the dnr gets there Thats what i do.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Since I'm trying to avoid violence these days as well. I would have taken pictures of said actions, vehicle and plate. Maybe, it would discourage them from doing it again or maybe the DNR could ticket from them.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Could someone post or PM me with the phone number best used to call the DNR? I've had the occasion where I wanted to call them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
[quote="And yes to answer your ?'s , of course he was a non speaking American, go figure they take everything....#$#@!![/quote]

Not quite sure of nationality but before casting judgement on a fellow man everyone needs to know the facts, walk a mile in their shoes. What if he was fetching food for his family and the only way he knows how is to do what he was taught or he has fallen on hard times. Most of us are previledged and are financially secure enough to enjoy fishing as a sport of catch and release but unfortunately for others its the difference between providing dinner for a night or watching his family go hungry.
Hopefully in this great country of ours no such conditions exist or at least we like to think so.
I would rather see them taking fish than performing other illegal acts such as robbery.
I have donated fish to those who I think could use it to feed there families. I'm just in it for the sport, a piece of luxury activity I get to enjoy, unfortunately, it not the case for others.

·
Registered
440 Posts
What exactly was this "stupid poacher" doing wrong? Smallmouth have to be over 14" to keep, although i know there is a rule on the chain where you can't keep them until after june something.....not sure about the netting of them either, but show me where it's says you cant. I just don't think it's such a big deal, unless he is doing something illegal.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
"walk a mile in their shoes"Uh oh :eek: 8:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm not encouraging wrongful acts, we should sometimes try to understand others and why they do what they do.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Wasnt directed at you,csk :)2 Kinda a pun on another post a while ago we all would like to forget.Good fishing to ya.Jeff.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
winnebasschamp said:
What exactly was this "stupid poacher" doing wrong? Smallmouth have to be over 14" to keep, although i know there is a rule on the chain where you can't keep them until after june something.....not sure about the netting of them either, but show me where it's says you cant. I just don't think it's such a big deal, unless he is doing something illegal.
Seasons closed April 1st - June 15th except on the Mississippi, Ohio, Wabash and Illinois and a Cast net come on. Why not just use half sticks? to lazy to download and copy it for you Page three under creel limits

·
Registered
142 Posts
Page 3 of your fishing regulations booklet: "In streams and tributaries statewide except for the Mississippi,Ohio,Wabash,and Illinois Rivers, all smallmouth bass must be immediatly released between April 1 and June 15." As for the cast net issue as long as he has a sport fishing license and a legal size cast net he was not in the wrong for using it.(according to page 5 in the booklet under, 'Sportfish', and "Sportfishing License') Pretty unethical to me ,but other than the bass being in a protected season he wasn't in the wrong for using a net for sportfish.

·
Registered
345 Posts
winnebasschamp said:
Pg5 of the 2008 Illinois Fishing Information Guide indicates that a sport fishing license permits using a legal-sized cast net for bait fishing (not for obtaining bass).

I'd be interested to know if the party even HAD a fishing license.

Starving family or not, one needs to go through the proper legal channels to rectify those sorts of things (vs illegal activity); I also suspect that living in the U.S., one is already blessed with more resources to help underprivileged individuals than they probably had in their "home" countries.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have an "off-the-boat" Polish friend, who is a contractor and makes a pretty decent living, but he'll keep anything he catches. He fully understands the rules and regs, but he also likes the taste of under sized pike, walleye, even muskie... What I'm saying is this, people don't care about the rules. I was surprised to watch this guy do this sort of thing, a few times now, and have tried to talk him out of doing what he does, but it doesn't sink in. Last illegal fish was a 40" muskie from under the ice on Fox lake.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I hear about illegally kept fish quite a bit, and have talked with my share of people taking fish they shouldn't...., some have listened, some haven't.

The fact that he doesn't speak english means two things in this situation.... Jack and ****, and Jack just left town.

Sure the guy did something to frown upon, but who are we to say boo. When I was younger and I used to hoof it up to the forest preserve, I didn't know what the size limits were on fish, and if I had the money to get one mounted back then, I probably would have brought home an under limit 12" bass.

It's not born into our systems that a license is needed to fish. I talk to people who were born and raised in this country who are ignorant of the fact that you need a license to fish. Someone who comes from this country from someplace that it isn't required would have absolutely no clue that it is required.

I don't think enough is done to let people know what is legal or not when it comes to fishing. I used to live just a hair north of the McHenry Dam, and I'd truck down there sometimes and see a guy with about a dozen poles sprawled out into the river. I never really saw him catch anything, so I never really thought anything of it. I also don't think he knew that it has a two pole limit there either. This information just isn't posted places that people look. Those stupid little map boards that are up by the parking lots at most forest preserves don't really do much unless you know to look there, plus all the information is printed, and the boards usually are not on the way to lakes/ponds, but on the way to the walking paths.

The really need to get visual limit boards up on the way to the water way. Something similar to what I have seen at Mallard with the distinguishing features of pike and muskie. Little signs scattered around on the shore, you have a picture of a walleye above a ruler that shows 18" (preferably life sized, but scaled down can work as well) and below that it reads "Walleye (scientific name here)" the line below that "LIMIT 2", and the one below that "18 INCH MINIMUM" do them for all the different species that have site specific regulations on them. If not one for each type of fish put all on one big board, but put several big boards around. Not only would it help deter people that aren't aware of these things from doing them, but it would be educational as well (how many times have you been fishing and had someone bring you something and ask "what kind of fish is this?").

As far as your confronting that guy goes, good job..., and way to stop before something really dumb happened. I've never gone so far as to call DNR, but I never have figured they'd make it on time.

To the guy with the polish friend, I really don't have much of an issue with what he's doing. The only reason being is that he is eating what he catches and not mounting them for show or something silly.. I would prefer he didn't but it's kind of like scolding your wife for not using her turn signals.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.