Here's what happens when man starts messing with Mother... - Page 2 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2006, 11:30 AM   #11 (permalink)

the spinner man makes sense here. And no, I'm definately not a P*ta supporter. While I do not condone animal mistreatment, they are a bunch of whackjobs. What some of you don't realize, is there is an equal number of "shootanything that moves" whackjobs too, and so, there will always be a P*ta. The truth is somewhere in the middle.
MuskyStalker is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2006, 01:32 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Musky Tyme

I am not going to speak on the situation out west, have no experience there.

But I will say a few things....If you breed dogs to hunt big game predators, do NOT come online with your messed up dog and cry to me about it. If you cared so much about dogs you wouldn't put them into a dangerous situation like that.

Your statement of how wolves have no fear of man is simply not accurate. I have spent countless weeks and time up north over my entire life(NW Ontario, NE Minn, All over Wi). I have barely ever seen a Wolf, never met anyone who has been attacked by one, never heard of anyone being attacked by one (this story doesnt count, if the wolf wanted him he would have had him). I have heard stories of guys out hunting who have a wolf run up on them, and try to spin a tale of terror just because they didn't go sprinting away in a hurry. Is that an attack? no

The stuff with livestock and dogs is what it is, and certainly there are areas where Wolves do not belong in. If that thing about putting them in North Carolina is true, there's a great example. In areas where there numbers need to be kept in check I am all for thinning, but not eradicating.

If you are really passionate about protecting livestock, I can understand your opinion. But somehow, I don't think that is the case...If you are trying to claim wolves pose a threat to attacking human beings, please back up your statements with proof rather then statements with no fact basis. I have many friends who are hunters in rugged areas of Northern Ontario with some of the highest wolf populations and comparing them to a cougar is a big stretch. In fact, they will tell you the one animal you don't want to run into is walking up on a Big Bull Moose. SHould we start whacking all of them too??
Old 08-19-2006, 01:59 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musky Tyme
Your statement of how wolves have no fear of man is simply not accurate.
When wolves' populations exceed their habitat's ability to support them, they sure as heck DO lose their fear of man! Much like the Coyotes do.

And just because your buddy's never see them, doesn't mean they're not there! They're pretty smart animals. Ask any hunter who hunts either and they'll let you know how smart they are. Heck, I go three days during deer season sometimes w/o seeing a deer and I KNOW there are plenty of them in the area. And deer are nowhere near as intelligent as a wolf or coyote.

There's plenty of information on the internet of wolve's attacking pets and also the occasional human. They prefer NOT to mess with humans, but put yourself in-between a fresh kill and see what happens. I'm SURE there's more human encounters than cougars simply because of their sheer numbers. I just don't have time to surf the internet for you MT, but I'm sure the info is there.

I'm also NOT saying to eradicate them. But, you simply don't re-introduce a species into an area that hasn't had that species for a hundred years! It just isn't mean't to be. If it were, they would have eventually spread their range into these areas naturally. The numbers up north certainly are high enough to do so. It's just not mean't to be...
815-744-1380
Mount Album: https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/fo...y-fishart.html
>>Check out our new website!!!!<<
http://WWW.FishSpecialties.NET
FishArt is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2006, 02:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

I'm just saying this....I would like to hear FACTS on the internet instead of some of this paranoia nonsense I am starting to hear on some of these websites from guys who have no experience out in the woods whatsoever.
The guys aren't just my "buddies" I was epaking of above, every single establishment I have ever stayed at in Canada and Minn was outfitted for hunting as well as fishing, and believe me, these guys are not fans of Wolves and many of them would love to whack away at them at will. But the bottom line is the next guy who tells me they are posing a threat to humans will be the first one, And I trust my personal experiences as well as people I have met over my years rather then factless paranoia over the internet. That's all I am saying...
Old 08-19-2006, 02:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
JP

Sucks what happened to the dog, but it's the nature of the beast. Hunted hogs with dogs in South Carolina and Florida plenty of times, stitched more than a few up and even buried a couple after hunts. If you wanna play you might just have to pay, may sound cold but that's life. This whiner should know that and accept it if he's as into dog hunting as he claims to be. As for the wolves, they're majestic animals which I believe would have adequately retaken a good portion of their previous range naturally in time. Let's be real, unless they pick up a young kid they're no threat to humans and that has nothing to do with losing their fear, they're opportunistic like all other predators and I think they'd be hard pressed to go after a healthy adult.
JP is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2006, 02:31 PM   #16 (permalink)

Way back when there was a hunting season on the grey wolf , we hunted them until near extinction ,which the feds decided to step in and not have the Passenger Pigieon Issue pop up ( There extinct now) as we killed Millions,

so we also have the endangered Yellowstone Buffalo as the Cattle ranchers are saying that they are carring Brusallosis which is deadly to cows, Know we all know the Cattle market right? the ranches kill them immediatly when they leave the park Interesting Huh.

So If we want to have another extinct animal Fine with me ,and yes they should be managed, They reintroduced the Wolf to North Caralina because the Deer are starting to grow in large numbers out there, and the Wolf is there only Predetor. we sure cant kill them to a manegable state, Heck Illinois, Wisconsin and Iowa all have deer problems we should intrduce the Wolf to those states.

But we people (outdoorsman) know the risks everytime we go to the field, woods, and the water
and all the dangers that surround it, with our dogs, family members, Boats etc

But remember this about dogs they are pack animals, wolves, coyotes, coydogs, will wreack havoc in numbers and yes they need to be controlled
Simba is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2006, 02:40 PM   #17 (permalink)

In time JP - lol!!! It's been a hundred years!!! How much MORE time do you want to give them???

And the big difference here is THEY CAN'T BE HUNTED. I don't know if you do any hunting outside of bird hunting. But most any animal I've hunted learns REALLY quickly that they're being hunted. And they really fear humans. Whereas these wolves (I'm sure) have encountered humans many times and have never been given a reason to fear them. At least their naturally born fear is subsiding through these encounters. Much like the California Cougars. They become bolder and bolder as their food supply and territory deminishes.

"Majestic Animal"? The Asian Carp is "majestic" to the Chinese! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And besides, looks should have nothing to do with whether or not an animal is re-introduced into an area. It's either going to co-exist or it's going to upset the balance of nature. I'm 100% positive it will be the latter in most cases. Toss in more future encounters with humans GUARANTEED as their numbers increase and I'm still scratching my head along with the poor DNR folks that have to attempt to manage this snafu...
815-744-1380
Mount Album: https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/fo...y-fishart.html
>>Check out our new website!!!!<<
http://WWW.FishSpecialties.NET
FishArt is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2006, 03:07 PM   #18 (permalink)
JP

Fishart, getting a little worked up on this one? I was with ya until I get slammed.

I say give them as much time as needed, either they'll come back or they won't, I just believe they would have without help. But alas that was my way of agreeing with you that they shouldn't have been reintroduced, I believe nature would have RE-taken it's course eventually.

Kind of a slam about bird hunting too after I stated I've hunted with dogs (since I was around 10) for HOGS, that would be FERAL, RUSSIAN, and REAL LIVE RAZORBACKS! Even done some deer hunting down south with them, along with a lot of bird hunting. I can probably say without hesitation that I've killed more north american big game critters than most on this board. Not really wanting a lecture on K9's, or hunting at this point.

As for majestic, **** yes they are IN MY EYES. Any predator high on the food chain and intelligent is majestic in my eyes and appreciated by me but still put in perspective.

I didn't say they're not losing fear either, just that I personally don't see humans being attacked as a result of their lack of fear.

Dang, you just shot down one of the guys backing you on this one, then I wonder why I don't post too often anymore.

Anyone but me realize too that the DNR of whatever state involved didn't do this, our predecessors did by ERADICATING THEM TO BEGIN WITH.

Sorry I even got voiced an opinion, won't happen again.
JP is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2006, 03:09 PM   #19 (permalink)

JP

Simba is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2006, 03:29 PM   #20 (permalink)

LOL, Like I said, factless internet paranoia is the name of the game these days. Nowadays Suburban Chicago Taxidermists are experts on the habits of the Candian Timber Wolf

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in